Thursday, September 15, 2011

Engaged Student Annoys Entire Class With 'Wisdom'


WINONA LAKE---According to countless students in Dr. Jim Swanson’s Marriage and Family course, Derek Weathers, a Grace College senior living off-campus, really needs to shut up and keep his thoughts to himself.

One student described Derek as a pretentious kid who really only likes hearing the sound of his own voice.

Derek Weathers annoys most often in McClain Hall
Fellow classmate Jane Spencer has had the misfortune of sitting next to Derek on multiple occasions. "He thinks he knows everything about marriage just because he got engaged a week before class started,” stated Spencer, after one incredibly annoying class session. “I can’t stand the way he voices his opinions like facts, the way he slouches in his chair like he’s above the class, and how he doesn’t even feel the need to raise his hand to be called on anymore. We haven’t even gotten to the ‘Family’ part of the class yet! It’s not too late to drop out is it?”

Even though Weathers is quite knowledgeable in the area of the strengths and weaknesses of being in a relationship, he reportedly has no idea what it means to shut up, keep to himself, or let others speak for a change.  

Classmate Jason Wright had been Derek’s roommate the prior two years at Grace before Derek moved off-campus. “I find it quite humorous actually. If only people could know the lonely, insecure, ‘married-to-his-video-games’ kid I’ve known the last couple years. I’m sure he matured a ton over the summer, right?”

Not everyone, however, is completely annoyed by Derek’s obsessive rampages and the "wisdom" he brings to the class. “I love Derek! He’s really the only reason I come to class,” said junior Sam Felt. “I have an ongoing count of how many times he’s used the phrases, ‘my fiancĂ© and I’, ‘what’s worked for us’, and ‘we’ve been there’. A couple buddies and I have a bet going and the loser has to go on a double date with Derek and his 'sweet-ums!'”

Dr. Jim Swanson has also noticed the input Weathers has given to the class. “He really is an exemplary student with knowledge of what it’s like to be engaged, which has greatly benefitted the class,” said Swanson. “With that said, I really wish for once he would be like a normal student and skip class.”  

3 comments:

  1. I gotta know who is writing this... send me a facebook message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who outed me the other day in alpha?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jay! what an awesome profile name!

    ReplyDelete